Every device connected to a computer network or the internet is assigned an IP address (Internet Protocol Address), which is a unique 32-bit number. Each of these devices makes use of the IP address to communicate with each other. Routers and networking devices use these IP addresses to track the information flow and data communication between servers, hosts or client computers. If you fear someone might try to break into your network or you know a specific IP address that you want to block from accessing your network, you can make use of the built-in security feature of Windows, called the Windows Firewall to secure your network from unauthorized access.
Using Windows Firewall you may either block a specific IP address or a group of IP addresses. Blocking a specific IP address from accessing your network also restricts it from connecting to the internet. Sometimes, a user account in the network can get locked even though one is entering the correct login information. If you check the security log, you may find that it happens when the firewall scans some specific IP addresses. Blocking the activity from these IP addresses often fixes such an issue. Get your hands on Windows Firewall and configure the settings to block such IP addresses. The following Windows Vista computer support guidelines will let you finish the task in quick time.
- Click on the “Start” button and select “Control Panel”.
- Proceed by clicking “Security”, and from the list, select the Windows Firewall option.
- Locate the option “Turn Windows Firewall On” and select it. As the “User Account Control” screen displays on your screen, click on “Continue”.
- It might ask you to enter your username and password information. Provide the details if prompted.
- Select the “Exceptions” tab, click on the “Change Scope” button which you see in the “Edit a Port” window.
- Locate and select the option “Custom List” and enter the IP address that you want to block into the box provided.
- Finally click “OK” to save the settings.
You have now successfully blocked the IP address from accessing your network. Similarly, you can provide a list of IP addresses that you want to block from your network. Windows Firewall blocks all unsolicited access to your computer, such as malwares and other malicious programs. You may avail computer support from Windows Support Center in case you need advanced help in configuring Windows Firewall.
Microsoft Windows manages all its peripheral devices using device drivers which are files required to support the proper functioning of such devices. These device driver files come packed with the software installation CD of the device. These device drivers can be updated to a new version or rolled back to a previous version if some thing goes wrong. The driver files are updated through the Windows Update feature. If you have turned on Windows Update, your computer will automatically search for the latest updates and install them to your computer. If Windows finds that some of your device driver files are outdated, then it will download and install latest versions of driver files. Sometimes you may need to manually update the device driver when your connected device shows strange behaviors or starts malfunctioning. Follow these computer support guidelines to update the device driver for your mouse connected to your computer.
- Launch your web browser. Go to Windows Support or the manufacturer website and locate the driver file for your mouse. You will have the option to select the model of your mouse and the operating system. Once you select the appropriate model, it will come up with the right driver file for your mouse.
- Now download that driver file to your computer. If prompted, select the location to save the file.
- Sometimes the downloaded driver file will be in compressed format. Therefore, you need to unzip the file. Use any ZIP utility like PZUnzip or WinRar to extract the files. If it is an executable file, double-click to extract the files.
- Go to the Start menu and type “Device Manager” into the Search box. From the search result, select “Device Manager” to open the window.
- This window will bring up a list of devices connected to your computer. Click on “Mouse” and locate the mouse that you want to update the driver. Now right-click and select the option “Update Driver Software“. Click on “Browse My Computer for Driver Software” and select the extracted driver file by browsing to the location.
- After you have selected the file, click “OK” to update the file.
- Restart your computer to take effect the changes.
Trouble with these simple instructions is rare. But if you do hit a snag, you may either visit the tech support site online or contact your computer support team to attend to the issue.
If you don’t know how to use a wireless mouse, go ahead and read this article. The fact is, most users are fed up with the trackball mouse, and want total freedom of movement when it comes to the same. However, an external mouse can become a burden when you are quite the traveler. The best option in this case is a wireless mouse. You don’t need to mind the cable hassles, more specifically the cable of the wireless mouse tangling itself around whatever it can find. Given below are some computer support instructions on how to use a wireless mouse.
Computer support Instructions regarding wireless mouse
- To start off, you need to turn your computer on. Please wait patiently as the operating system boots itself.
- After the boot up process, the log in screen is displayed where you need to enter the user name and password. Now log in to your profile.
- Before doing anything, you need to check the wireless settings of your laptop. First off, you need to make certain that your system supports wireless technology.
- Some laptops don’t support wireless technology. In that case, you need to buy yourself a wireless receiver.
- If your laptop has a receiver, you need to make sure that it is compatible with the wireless mouse that you intent to use.
- You need to understand that you can use either a radio signal or Bluetooth technology for this purpose.
- Next step is to unpack your mouse. Simply open the battery compartment of your mouse. You need to check the conditions of the battery since it is one important factor that determines the smooth functioning of the mouse.
- You need to check the charge in the battery. If there is not enough charge in the same, you need to replace it immediately.
- Without properly charged batteries, your wireless mouse will show errors and finally fail to function properly. So you must add new batteries to it at regular, reasonably short intervals,.
- Before closing the battery compartment, you need to make certain that the battery compartment is properly inserted into the niche.
The above article details the procedure to undertake when facing problems with your wireless mouse. For further assistance, contact MS support teams online.
Occasionally, Vista operating system may develop some malfunctioning due to corruption or missing of certain system files. At this point, the System File Checker utility can be of great help in checking and repairing such errors. The following description provides very good computer support for Vista systems while you attempt to use the File checker application.
How to use System File Checker in Vista
- First, you need to boot the computer in the Safe Mode, especially when you are unable to access the normal Windows Vista desktop due to a lost or missing system file. Shut down your system, wait for a few seconds and turn on the computer again. Then immediately you need to press the F8 key before the Windows splash screen loads in order to access the Advanced Startup Menu. Using the arrow keys, you will be able to select the Safe Mode and then press the Enter button. Now the driver-sparse version of Windows will load and it is quite beneficial for troubleshooting.
- Select the Start button, then All Programs and Accessories. Then you must right click on the Command prompt icon and choose the Run as Administrator option. When the operating system prompts you to confirm that you are the computer administrator, you need to click on the Allow button. Command prompt opens now; In fact a DOS like interface in which you can enter commands to run utilities for fixing and repairing the computer.
- When prompted, enter sfc/scannow. This command will initiate Windows System File Checker, which will scan the Windows installation directory for any corrupt, missing or non-authenticated versions of the Vista operating system files. The System File Checker keeps a record of the system files and by default, this program replaces those files, which do not match with the File Checker’s record. This facility is helpful in eliminating certain viruses, which replace the original system files with
- When the system file checker completes the diagnostic operation type Exit in the command prompt and press the Enter button to return to the Safe Mode. Then you should shut down the computer normally. Restart the system and allow Vista to load normally.
Getting efficient computer support for your Windows systems is not a big job as there are plenty of Microsoft help pages available online. You can also directly contact a professional at the support center for receiving very good technical assistance regarding any issues on the computer.
The Workgroup is a group of systems that connect to a single network connection which performs identical functions. Another feature of the computers used in a workgroup is, they make use of the same resources. Workgroup option is the one and only solution for all sharing tasks. Workgroup is a very important aspect of network computing. Without this option you cannot share files or other hardware components among a group of computers. Workgroup can be incorporated for a wide variety of purposes especially in business organizations, internet café, educational institutions etc. The Workgroup option in your system can be accessed from the “System Properties” option located in the Control Panel. You can even erase the Workgroup option from your system. This article will let you know more about the same.
Computer support instructions to erase Workgroup
- Load your system and then select the Start button displayed at the bottom left side of the screen.
- Locate My Computer option from the list of applications that appear on the screen.
- Select this option by right-clicking on it and then click on “Properties”. This will load the “System Properties” window on your screen. This window contains the basic configuration details of your system. The basic information includes the System Restore option, Automatic updates, Remote option, General information about the system, Computer name, Hardware details and other advanced options.
- Select the “Computer Name” option. This will display the name of the workgroup created in your system. The Workgroup name is displayed adjacent to the “Workgroup”.
- Now you may select the “Change” option. This will enable you to modify the workgroup settings for your system. You can now create a new Workgroup or erase an existing one.
- In order to erase the name of a particular workgroup, select the particular name and then hit on the “Delete” button. Now you may click on the OK tab.
- Select the “Apply” tab in order to update the modifications you have performed in the workgroup settings.
- Reboot your system in order to save the modifications.
- When the system gets restarted click on the Start button followed by the My Computer option. Click on “My Network Places”. Access the “View Workgroup Computers” to check whether you have deleted the workgroup name without making any error.
Perform the same procedures to delete any number of workgroups in your system. Read through the Computer support topics in order to gain more information about workgroups and networking.
It’s really a tough task sometimes to keep your system operational for maintaining your business data and information. When your business and home affairs rely on information saved on Dell Dimension and Inspiron computers, any malfunction may affect you adversly. To prevent this, Dell dimension and Inspiron computers include a PC restore software program. By utilizing this tool, you can restore your system to an earlier date and time, where it worked properly. The pointers crafted below are provided by the Dell Computer Support team, which will help you to use the PC recovery tools efficiently.
Using Microsoft’s System Restore tool
Before starting with the restoration procedure, it’s best to backup all your important data and information. For this, copy all your important files to any portable storage media, such as CD, DVD, USB flash drive, etc.
Now disconnect all the external devices, including printers and scanners.
If the problem is not severe, then you can resolve it using the System Restore Program designed by Microsoft. For accessing the system restore tool, click on the windows Start button, and then click the All Programs option in the pop-upped start menu. This displays a list, with the entirety of applications installed on your system.
Now locate the Accessories folder and then choose System Tools. Now from the subfolder thus formed, choose the System Restore tab.
Now, you have to mention a date and time that you want to restore your machine to. When finished, reboot your machine, and reconnect all the external devices, to check whether this has resolved your issue or not.
Using The Dell PC Restore tool
Before starting the process, copy all your important data and files to external storage devices such as USB, DVD, etc.
When done, reboot your Windows XP machine.
Wait till the Dell splash screen gets displayed. Once the screen appears, press and hold the F11 key on your keyboard, to launch the Dell PC restore window. When done, click on the Restore tab.
Now you will see a pop-up message, saying All Data On Your System Will Be Lost. Now click on the Confirm button to start the restoration procedure.
Once the process is finished, a new pop-up window will appear, saying that the recovery was successful.
You can follow these pointers, provided by the Computer Support team, for restoring your system to an earlier date where it worked without any error. Of course, the restore setting must have been enabled at that time for it to work now.
By using multiple monitors, you can increase your productivity by expanding the size of the desktop. You will be able to open many programs at a time and use them easily. Windows XP allows users to do this which ease. Just follow the computer support instructions mentioned in this article and you are all set to go.
Set up the Ports
- First of all you have to check the ports on the monitor and the computer laptop. The ports used might be VGA, DVI or HDMI.
- If you want to connect two different types of ports, you will need to connect an adapter to it.
- You can find the cables and adapters of all types from the market.
- Check whether your computer has more than one monitor port. If it hasn’t, you will need to upgrade your graphics card so that it supports two monitors.
- For installing the new card on your computer, follow the instructions given by the manufacturer.
Set Up the Connection
- For using multiple monitors on your laptop, connect your laptop to the monitor using a suitable adapter and a cable.
- For connecting your computer with two monitors, you need to connect the two monitors to the ports in the graphic card using cable and adapter. No other setup is needed to use two monitors on your computer.
Configure the Monitor
- In order to configure the multiple monitors on your computer, open the Display Properties menu. For that, right click on the desktop and choose the Properties.
- From the properties, choose the Display Properties.
- If you are using the Mac, open the System Preferences and then select Displays.
- Then you have to set the primary and secondary monitor or you can even set the monitors to display the same image.
Troubleshooting the Issues
- When both the monitors are plugged in, your computer or laptop must detect both the monitors.
- If it is not detected by your system, go to the Display Properties menu and select Detect.
- If the monitors are still not detected, you will need to upgrade some drivers that are recommended by the Microsoft.
- For that, navigate to the Control Panel, select System and click on the Automatic Updates.
If you follow the above instructions, you can easily connect two monitors to a single system. Visit the computer support website for more assistance with this problem.
NEC Company – the leading laptop manufacturer within the computer industry has now become a competitor to the technology giant Microsoft by developing a wide variety of high quality laptops. The all-in-one keyboard design is something new you can find in NEC laptops, which give a classy look to the device.
Whenever you experience a hardware problem or you want to expand your hard drive memory, then you need to access the inner components of your NEC laptop. But you can’t access the inside components directly without removing the keyboard. Don’t need to worry, this article details the tips from the NEC computer support team for removing the Keyboard from a NEC laptop.
- First of all shut down your NEC laptop and remove all the power cables.
- Now open your NEC laptop and push the screen backward.
- Now you can see a small keyboard retainer notch over the keyboard. Now lift this notch up with one hand and use your other hand to hold the device tightly without slipping.
- Start out the procedures by sliding your keyboard towards the left side. While you move the keyboard to the left side, carefully lift the keyboard from its casing.
- Then lift the keyboard to the top part, just under the screen by using your fingers. Next keep the top part of your keyboard slightly lifted, then slowly move the keyboard towards the desktop monitor. Doing this will help you to move your keyboard up from the track pad. As a result, the keyboard starts clearing the clips that hold down the keyboard and the keyboard can be easily be taken off.
- Be careful while carrying out this procedure. Make sure that you always keep the keyboard against your desktop screen. Please don’t pull it out of your laptop device as it is connected to the monitor through cables.
- Once you finish your work, place the keyboard back into the casing carefully.
- When done, put the holding clips back properly to hold the keyboard tightly within the casing.
- Now connect all the power cables and turn on your NEC laptop and ensure that the keyboard is functioning properly.
After reading these tips from the NEC computer support team you can easily remove keyboard from a NEC laptop.
Thank you for reading this post. Ciao!