To enhance the user experience in the Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has introduced a new interface based on the ‘Metro’ design language that features a new Start screen akin to the Start screen in Windows Tablets, representing a series of dynamically updating tiles. The new Start screen in Windows 8 replaces the Start menu in the earlier versions of Windows operating system. However, you cannot get many applications that are available in the earlier versions. You can create shortcuts within the user interface to overcome this limitation.
Creating new shortcuts through Windows 8 installation is a complicated one; hence, you can use the shortcuts within the new user interface. Let us see how to make custom shortcuts in Windows 8 OS.
Creating a shortcut for Apps
- Open the Search charm and choose an app for which you need to create a shortcut. For example, let us choose Paint.
- Right click and go through the series of options displayed at the bottom side of the screen. Select Pin to start.
- Follow the shortcut for attaching the application in the Start screen. Now, all you need to do is to drag the icon to the desired position. Similarly, you can add more shortcuts.
- In case you need to remove the app you have already pinned, select Unpin from the Start menu located on the bottom of the screen.
Creating shortcuts for a function
Rather than going to the Settings charm, to select the Shut Down function, you can provide a short cut to Shut Down.
- Select the New menu. Now choose Shortcut.
- A new box will be displayed, Type in shutdown.exe –t 00 –s. This gives the shortcut for the shut down function. Now, select Next button.
- You can provide a name to the shortcut so created. Finally click Finish button to complete the process.
- This will automatically move the shut down function on the Windows Home Screen. You can replace the default icon, if needed. For this, you need to choose Properties.
- Select Change Icon and search for all the available icons. Choose the icon that you need by simply clicking on the same. Again, select OK. Select Apply on Shutdown.
- Right click on the icon. Select Pin to start. The icon appears on your Windows Metro start screen.
In case you face any ambiguity in creating shortcuts for apps and functions in the Metro Start screen, you can seek the support of Windows 8 installation support services. Follow their instructions to add the apps and functions within the Start screen.